Welcome to Long Island Doula Association, Inc !
What is a doula?
The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
• Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
• Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
• Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
• Stays with the woman throughout the labor
• Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint,
as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
• Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
• Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
• Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.
• Offers education, companionship and nonjudgmental support during the postpartum fourth trimester
• Assists with newborn care, family adjustment, meal preparation and light household tidying
• Offers evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing and coping skills for new parents and makes appropriate referrals when necessary
Notice: LIDA, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation whose purpose is to promote the mutual advancement of the interests of it's members who may be, but are not required to be doulas. As such, LIDA, Inc., cannot and does not accept any responsibility for the individual conduct of it's members and any contracts between a member and her cllient are exclusive to the member and her client.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on our association, our mission, or our crisis fund. Please e-mail or call members directly on our "member lists" to discuss specific services.
The Long Island Doula Association, Inc., (LIDA) is an organization which provides birthing professionals with the opportunity to network, obtain continuing education and professional growth through our monthly meetings.
Through public appearances, LIDA, Inc., educates the community as to the benefits of having a doula before, during and after their birth. We empower the families we work with to make informed choices for their birth and postpartum period. LIDA, Inc., is a multi-professional organization operating on the paradigm that birth is normal and as such provides evidence based information and positive support for women in the early stages of motherhood, from conception through postpartum.
LIDA, Inc., is passionate about supporting birthing families. Through our families in crisis fund we are able to provide professional childbirth support to families in crisis at little or no cost to those in need.
LIDA, Inc., Council Members:
Deborah Rotunno - President
Eva Sommese - Vice President/Secretary
Katherine Koncelik - Treasurer
Tina Atanasio - Council Chair
Jennifer Cardinale - Membership Administrator
Danielle Joseph-McKay - Hospitality Administrator
Julia Kaplan-Schilling - Community Awareness Administrator
Robin Sheldon - Fundraising Administrator
Regina Iaccarino - Council Chair
Notice: LIDA, Inc., is a not-for-profit corporation whose purpose is to promote the mutual advancement of the interests of it's members who may be, but are not required to be doulas. As such, LIDA, Inc., cannot and does not accept any responsibility for the individual conduct of its members and any contracts between a member and her client are exclusive to the member and her client.
Contact us at email@example.com for information on our association, our mission or our "Families in Crisis Fund". Please e-mail or phone members directly from our "member lists" to discuss specific services